Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cooking

I have always kind of felt that I was a better baker than cook. My sister, J, is a much better cook than I am and she seems to enjoy it. I enjoy baking.
Recently I have really been trying to cook good food that LOOKS good because (like my mom always says), presentation is everything. Plus, even though I don't love to cook I DO love to cook for my husband. That's my favorite thing to do.
So, here a few of the things I made:
I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but these hobo dinners were pretty good. Steak, shrimp, corn, green beans and potatoes with seasoning and thrown on the grill. Pretty good...could have cooked the potatoes a bit longer--I loved doing this at camp over a bonfire!
 This next thing actually falls under the baking category...but I just couldn't wait another minute to make p-nut butter blossoms. They're so good and, besides, who says those have to be a Christmas cookie?
 Sorry about all the bad lighting...it starts getting dark here at like 4:30pm
 THIS tastes better than it looks...sadly. BUT it is Cajun Chicken Pasta that I got from here. It's so delicious and I liked being able to add a little less spice to make it just right for us.
 Didn't I say I was trying to make foods that LOOK good? Well, here's another that no matter what angle or lighting still looks....just...not very appetizing. BUT it is my favorite breakfast:
Biscuits and Gravy!
 I pack Mr. Husband a lunch and I have been struggling on what travels the best but isn't a sandwich. Well, last night I thought I'd get really fancy and do grilled salmon with lemon butter sauce, steamed whole green beans, and spinach salad with apples, pecan pralines and raspberry vinegarette dressing. Looks too pretty to go in glad-ware, right?
Well, I had a piece too and I liked it, but I don't think the salmon was Mr. Husband's favorite. Maybe next time I'll try the filet instead of the steak.
 Next we have an "Egg McMuffin"--because everyone knows that even though it's not from McDonald's, it must be called a "Mc". It's the law. I'm pretty sure.
Anyway, although this probably isn't the healthiest meal, it is a good way to get some protein and calories into my man after a long mid-shift or right before an early day shift.
So yeah. I'm not the best cook and I didn't take a picture of the Popeye's chicken we had this week, the hot pocket I had for lunch the other day, or the Panda Express I had for lunch today, but this is one of those things that I feel very stubborn about. I WILL be a good cook. If it kills me.

Don't you love the dramatics? I have now used this blog as my own personal cooking pep-rally. Awesome.

Tomorrow is Monday, hope you made the most of your weekend!

Always,
The Forecaster's  Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment